There are so many things to love about beeswax. It is versatile, smells amazing, and of course it’s all natural! You can get so creative with using beeswax, but there are a few household uses that stand out above the rest. Here are five creative and surprising uses for beeswax that you can do today!
1. DIY Beeswax Wraps
Beeswax wraps are reusable food wraps that are all the rage right now! The store-bought options can be quite pricey at around $20 each, and they tend to include unnecessary ingredients. You can easily make your own beeswax wraps with non-toxic ingredients for under $2, and save time and money in the process.
2. Cutting Board Butter
Making your own cutting board butter is one of the easiest uses for beeswax. It’s the most effective and non-toxic way to condition and restore cutting boards, wood utensils, and even wood furniture! You can make your own cutting board finish that is 100% organic (and food grade) with just two ingredients, beeswax and coconut oil!
3. Beeswax Lip Balm
Another classic recipe that includes beeswax is a homemade lip balm. With just beeswax and a few all-natural ingredients, you can make a buttery smooth and nourishing lip balm that is great for moisturizing your lips all year long. You can even make it a customizable tinted lip balm by adding beet root powder to the recipe to give it a pink tint!
4. Seal Letters
One of the most beautiful uses for beeswax is sealing letters. If you’ve looked into popular waxes used for letter seals, you’ve seen that they are full of toxins that are released into the air when heated. Rather than exposing yourself to these harmful substances, you can use pure beeswax, and it comes out just as beautiful!
Supplies Needed: Envelopes to seal, a plain stamp or bee stamp, and of course beeswax. You’ll also need a way to melt the beeswax using either a wax melting kit, or just a candle and stainless steel spoon.
Directions: Melt the pure beeswax, and allow it to cool several minutes until it begins to thicken. Pour it on your envelope and stamp with the seal, allowing it to cool for at least a minute before removing the wax stamp. Enjoy! Note that due to the low melting point of beeswax, you may not want to mail letters that are stamped with beeswax, depending on the time of year and how long the letter will be in transit. Just be mindful of that.
5. Beeswax Candles
Of course, we can’t forget the classic homemade beeswax candles! This is probably one of the most popular uses for beeswax, so it definitely deserves an honorable mention. The best part is, you don’t even have to make a full candle if you don’t want to! I like to use beeswax as a way to make my house smell amazing (like the smell of honey), even if it’s just by placing some into my candle warmer to melt and enjoy the scent of.
Which Beeswax to Buy
When it comes to looking at beeswax, there are several different types and forms, and it can make it hard to figure out which type of beeswax is best for which application.
- Food Grade Beeswax: Best for any application that involves food, such as the DIY beeswax wraps, as well as the cutting board butter. You can use food grade beeswax for any application. It is just the most expensive typically because of its purity.
- Cosmetic Grade Beeswax: Best for skincare and other uses, such as beeswax lip balm and beeswax candles. Because it is not food-grade purity, it is typically more cost effective than food grade options.
- White Beeswax: White beeswax is best for when you care about the look of the final product. This would make your beeswax letter seals white instead of yellow, and your beeswax candles would be brighter in color.
- Beeswax Bar: Instead of buying the beeswax as pellets, you can purchase it in bar form. This bar can be melted down as a whole, or it can be cut or shaved to make it easier to melt.
5 Fun and Easy Uses for Beeswax
Your new favorite and creative uses for beeswax! Try beeswax wraps, cutting board butter, lip balm, candles, and letter seals!
Uses for Beeswax
- Follow the individual directions for each post.
- You can use food-grade beeswax for any application.