If you search for the best way to finish and restore cutting boards, you’ll see an overwhelming number of people recommending mineral oil. Mineral oil sounds fine, until you find out that mineral oil is derived from crude petroleum oil. I personally didn’t like the idea of rubbing my cutting board with petroleum and then putting food on it. This is why I decided to make my own 100% edible and organic cutting board finish! Learn how to make it, and how I use it, below!
Why Make This Instead of Buying One That’s Already Made
The short answer is because I couldn’t find anything like this. Every other cutting board finish was either made from mineral oil, or had other additives that made it not organic or all-natural.
The other reason is because I like to know exactly what’s in my products, and it makes it extremely affordable to make it myself!
- A 4 oz. (or larger) jar: For this batch I used a jar like this jar with this lid. You can use anything you have!
- A pot and a bowl: I used my smallest pot from my stainless steel cookware set, and one of the medium bowls from my Duralex bowl set. These can be any size as long as they fit together (for creating a double broiler).
- A spatula: I love the size of the small one in this set for homemade skincare.
- Measuring spoons: I use these measuring spoons because they have flat bottoms and can sit stable on the counter without tipping over!
- Organic fractionated coconut oil: Make sure this is liquid at room temperature! Regular coconut oil can go rancid inside the wood over time. I use my oil from my local grocery store, but this one is organic, edible, and would work just the same!
- Organic food-grade beeswax: I buy food grade organic beeswax pellets for easier melting.
Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pot, and heat on the stovetop until simmering.
While the pot of water is warming up, place beeswax and the coconut oil into the bowl of the double boiler.
Put the bowl on top of the pot of simmering water.
Stir it with a spatula until the beeswax is completely melted, about 3-5 minutes.
Once melted, remove the bowl from the heat, and stir again thoroughly to make sure it’s combined.
Pour into your storage jar, leaving the lid off until it’s cool to the touch.
As it cools, you’ll see it go from a liquid to a semi-solid. This will take about an hour.
Place the lid on the jar, and it’s ready to use! This organic cutting board finish can be stored at room temperature for up to 6 months.
How To Use The Organic Cutting Board Finish
Dip the corner of a clean and dry cloth into your jar of organic cutting board finish. You will need about a quarter sized amount for each side of an average cutting board.
Using circular motions, buff the finish onto every portion of the cutting board.
Once you’ve covered the entire board in finish, prop the board up so that neither side is laying flat against anything.
Allow to sit at least 2-6 hours, or even overnight. This gives the coconut oil time to deeply penetrate the wood, and the beeswax time to harden as a protective layer on the outside of your cutting board.
Buff off the excess with a fresh clean cloth.
You can follow this exact same process for the other applications, including wood utensils.
What can this organic cutting board finish be used on?
You can use this organic cutting board finish to condition and maintain all of your wood kitchen products, including:
- Cutting boards
- Charcuterie boards
- Wood handles on silicone utensils
How often should I oil or finish my cutting board or wood utensils?
It’s recommended that you apply finish to your wood cutting boards and utensils about once a month, or when they begin to appear dry. Maintaining a good schedule will keep your boards and utensils in their best shape!
Can I add essential oils?
Some people may choose to add essential oils to their organic cutting board finish. If you are looking to add oils, research the oil and the brand to make sure that they are safe to consume.
You should feel comfortable eating any ingredients that you put in your cutting board finish, since it is likely that small amounts will get onto your food as you use your board and utensils!
Organic Cutting Board Finish (For Wood Utensils Too!)
To keep your cutting boards in their best shape, try this easy-to-make, 100% edible and organic cutting board finish. It’s mineral oil free!
4 tbsp. organic fractionated coconut oil
2 tbsp. organic food-grade beeswax
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pot, and heat on the stovetop until simmering. While the pot of water is warming up, place beeswax and the coconut oil into the bowl of the double boiler.
- Put the bowl on top of the pot of simmering water. Stir it with a spatula until the beeswax is completely melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once melted, remove the bowl from the heat, and stir again thoroughly to make sure it’s combined.
- Pour into your storage jar, leaving the lid off until it’s cool to the touch. As it cools, you’ll see it go from a liquid to a semi-solid. This will take about an hour.
- Place the lid on the jar, and it’s ready to use! This organic cutting board finish can be stored at room temperature for up to 6 months.
- To use, dip a clean and dry cloth into the organic cutting board finish, and apply about a quarter-sized amount onto each side of a cutting board in circular motions. Allow it to sit for 2-6 hours before buffing away the excess. Reapply as needed.