Making your own healthy mayonnaise only takes two minutes, and you may already have all of the ingredients in your kitchen. Skip the unhealthy store-bought options, and switch to your own homemade mayo with quality ingredients that you can trust!
Why Make Your Own Mayonnaise
I’m going to be honest, before making my own mayonnaise, I actually had no idea was it was made of. Little did I know that I was never more than two minutes away from fresh, healthy mayonnaise!
Like most other processed food options, store-bought mayonnaise contains unnecessary (and in some cases harmful) ingredients. This includes inflammatory oils, “natural” flavors, and preservatives.
Once make your own mayo from ingredients that you know and trust, you’ll never look back!
- Mason Jar: I use a wide mouth pint jar. Just be sure it has a wide mouth for the immersion blender to fit into.
- Immersion Blender: I use my KitchenAid cordless immersion blender. You can use a blender if you prefer.
- 1 Large Egg: I use farm-fresh eggs. Get your egg from a trusted source, since it will be consumed raw. If you feel more comfortable pasteurizing your egg first, you can find tutorials online for how to do this.
- 1/4 tsp. Salt: I use unrefined sea salt, but use what you have.
- 2 tsp. Lemon Juice: I like to use lemon juice because I find that it adds a bit more flavor, but you can use distilled white vinegar if you prefer.
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard: You can use prepared dijon mustard, or you can use a mustard powder. Optional but tastes so good.
- 3/4 cup Coconut Oil: You will need to use a fractionated coconut oil that is liquid at room temperature. You can substitute for another healthy oil if you prefer, but coconut oil has the most neutral flavor for this recipe.
Add the egg to the mason jar, followed by the salt, mustard, and lemon juice. Then pour in your oil.
Place the immersion blender down into the bottom of the jar before turning it on, and then blend the egg until it begins to turn white (about 1 minute).
Then, slowly lift the immersion blender up higher to begin incorporating the rest of the oil. Do this until you have a thick and fully combined mayonnaise.
This recipe makes about 3/4 cup mayonnaise.
My favorite way to use this healthy mayonnaise is when making a sourdough focaccia sandwich! But you can use it however you use any mayonnaise.
- You can use a blender or food processor if you do not have an immersion blender.
- You can use either prepared mustard (the condiment), or dry mustard powder. Any mustard will do.
- You can use distilled white vinegar in place of lemon juice if you’d like.
- You can use any oil for this recipe, though some oils are much better than others. See below for more information on choosing an oil.
Best oil for mayonnaise?
To make the healthiest and tastiest mayonnaise possible, the best oil to use is liquid coconut oil. This is because it has a perfectly neutral flavor, and it is non-inflammatory!
Other healthy options would include olive oil or avocado oil. I do not recommend using only these options though, as the flavor would be far too strong and overpowering. Instead, try using about 2-4 tbsp. of these oils, and then fill the rest with coconut oil. This will give a nice balanced flavor profile, while still maintaining that classic mayonnaise taste.
If you have a coconut allergy, choose another neutral-flavored oil that you are not allergic to.
How long does homemade mayo last?
Homemade mayo will last up to 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container.
My mayonnaise turned out really watery! What do I do?
No worries! This happens to everyone every once in a long while. To fix it, simply crack another egg into a new jar, add 2 tsp. more lemon juice, and then pour the watery mayonnaise over the top. Repeat the blending process until it comes together into a beautiful mayonnaise. Problem solved!
Healthy Mayonnaise Recipe (With Coconut Oil!)Course: Natural Food
Ditch the store-bought options, and make your own 2-minute healthy mayonnaise with quality ingredients that you can trust!
Immersion Blender (or blender/food processor)
1 large egg (from a trusted source if you are not going to pasteurize it first)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. dijon mustard (optional but delicious)
3/4 cup liquid coconut oil
- Add the egg to the mason jar, followed by the salt, mustard, and lemon juice. Then pour in your oil.
- Place the immersion blender down into the bottom of the jar before turning it on, and then blend the egg until it begins to turn white (about 1 minute).
- Then, slowly lift the immersion blender up higher to begin incorporating the rest of the oil. Do this until you have a thick and fully combined mayonnaise.
- Homemade mayo will last up to 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container.
- Try your homemade healthy mayonnaise on my sourdough focaccia sandwich recipe!
- Approximate Nutritional Information (per 1 tbsp. serving): 125 calories, 0g carbs, 0g sugar, 0g protein, 13g fats