Liquid Castile soap is probably one of the most versatile cleaning products available. You can use it alone, dilute it with water, or mix it with a variety of different ingredients to use in various applications around your home. This list of Castile soap uses will help you know what to do with it next time you need to clean something!
What is Castile Soap?
Liquid Castile soap is made from saponified oils such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil. It falls high on the pH scale, making it a great ingredient for many different homemade cleaning products and applications. It foams nicely, degreases and removes grime well, and it is completely non-toxic. You get the best of all worlds when using Castile soap as your liquid soap or dish soap!
Castile Soap Uses
- Make an All-Purpose Castile Cleaner Spray by adding it to a spray bottle with water.
- Combine with hydrogen peroxide to make the best Homemade Stain Remover.
- Make your own Homemade Laundry Detergent by mixing it with salt and baking soda.
- Combine with witch hazel and water to make an easy DIY Lens Cleaner Spray.
- Use some of the scents to make a Homemade Bug Spray (Without Essential Oils!).
- Combine with baking soda, sea salt, and water and scoop into DIY Garbage Disposal Cleaner Pods.
- Combine with baking soda to make DIY Odor Absorbing Jars.
- Use it to replace Scrubbing Bubbles, Bona hardwood floor cleaner, Dawn dish soap, and Pledge dusting spray in the Popular Cleaning Product Alternatives post.
- Use it to scrub showers, clean makeup brushes, shine sinks, remove grease stains, wipe down natural stone countertops, spot clean furniture, mop floors, and more in the Guide to Natural Cleaning.
Castile Soap Recipes
- All-Purpose Castile Cleaner Spray
- Homemade Stain Remover
- Homemade Laundry Detergent
- DIY Lens Cleaner Spray
- Homemade Bug Spray (Without Essential Oils!)
- DIY Garbage Disposal Cleaner Pods
- DIY Odor Absorbing Jars
Where to Buy Castile Soap
There are various brands of Castile soap, all containing similar or identical ingredients. However, some of the brands have more simple ingredients than others, which is why they are higher recommended.
Most Popular Brand: Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap
Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap is the most popular Castile soap on the market. It has fairly simple ingredients was my go-to brand for quite some time. However, I have a new favorite brand that has even more simple and clean ingredients, yet still works just as well as the Dr. Bronner’s brand.
Top Recommended: Vermont Soap Brand Castile Soap
Vermont Soap’s Castile Soap is equally as versatile as the Dr. Bronner’s option, but it only contains 3 ingredients in the unscented version, whereas the Dr. Bronner’s option contains 9 ingredients. Vermont Soap also offers a variety of scents to choose from, including sweet orange as well as peppermint options which are used in some of the recipes above. Also depending on the size bottle purchased, Vermont Soap brand is far more cost effective than Dr. Bronner’s.
Castile Soap Uses & Recipes
- Follow the recipe directions. The top recommended brand is Vermont Soap’s Castile Soap.